Are you a fan of fancy mugs or tumblers? Nowadays, more and more people are more into sublimated/ customized ceramic mugs than regular ones. They come with an attractive as well as professional look. I bet that’s why you want to sublimate your mug at home, ain’t I right? However, can I use a toaster oven for sublimation? How to use the convection oven for sublimation?
Honestly, sublimation using a toaster oven is indeed possible if you are a bit aware of the technique. Print your preferred design in a reverse manner on sublimation paper and stick it tightly with the mug by tapping the edges. Wrap the entire mug with the shrink wrapper and set it up on the mug with a heat gun. Lastly, set up the optimum time and temperature and keep the mug inside the convection for sublimation.
Once you remove the mug from the oven and unwrap it, you will notice an outstanding design sublimated on the glass. Does it still seem tricky? Don’t panic, even if it’s your first time! We have come up with step-by-step guidelines just to assist the beginners like you. Our faq section has answered all the probable questions as well. Just follow the steps, and you will be surprised by the outstanding results. So, are you ready to surprise everyone with your extraordinarily sublimated mugs and tumblers?
Can You Use A Toaster Oven For Sublimation?
Yes, why not? Just like a regular oven, toaster ovens can ensure proper heat distribution from top to bottom. Thus, it is one of the basic tools to sublimate tumblers & mugs at home. You just need to be aware of the optimum sublimation temperature & time. Toaster ovens can provide heat up to 400°F, which is indeed enough for sublimating most materials.
What Items Are Required To Sublimate In A Toaster Oven?
In order to sublimate a mug in a toaster oven, you will require –
- Shrink wrap or Silicone mug wrap.
- Aluminum foil.
- Thermal tape.
- A ceramic mug.
- A toaster oven in convection settings.
- Heat gun.
- Heat-resistant gloves.
Read More: Heat-resistant gloves for oven
Now the sublimation temperature may vary depending on the material you will sublimate. For instance, 400°F will be sufficient for the sublimation of your preferred design on the ceramic mug.
How To Sublimate A Mug In A Convection Oven?
Step 1: Stick The Designed Sublimation Paper With The Ceramic Mug
- Decide your preferred design and print it in an inverse manner on the sublimation paper.
- Now stick the paper tightly to the body of the ceramic mug or tumbler.
- Use thermal tape to stick the edges with the mug.
Step 2: Wrap The Mug With The Sublishrink Wrap
- Once the designed paper is stuck with the mug, wrap the entire mug with the white Sublishrink wrapper.
- In case you don’t have the shrink wrapper nearby, you can go for a regular blue silicone wrap instead.
- However, beware! Use an aluminum foil underneath the blue wrap to prevent any unwanted residue marks on the mug.
Step 3: Use The Heat Gun
Heat up the shrink wrap with the heat gun to set it up perfectly on the mug.
Step 4: Set Up The Oven’s Temperature For Proper Heat
- Set up the temperature and time on the convection oven. In order to sublimate a ceramic mug, around 400°F &13 minutes will be enough indeed.
- Once the oven is ready, double-check the internal temperature with a thermometer.
- Place the mug inside the oven. The design should face the oven’s interior to get proper heat.
Step 5: Remove The Mug From The Oven & Unwrap It
- After 13 minutes, wear the heating gloves and remove the mug from the oven.
- Peel the wrapper and foil carefully.
- Cool down the mug as per convenience.
You can impress everyone with your outstanding sublimation skills right now, just if you own enough tools for sublimation.
- If you are going for the blue silicone mug wrap, it’s best to wrap the white mug with aluminum foil beforehand. Otherwise, the blue wrap can leave a faint yet fine residue on the ceramic.
- You can scrape off the sublimation paper from the mug conveniently without burning yourself, just with a push pin.
- In order to prevent any bleed from the newly sublimated design, cool it down in the fridge for several hours. This step is highly recommended if your design has fine details, lines, sharp images, or logos.
Is the Most Expensive Oven Suitable for Sublimation Printing?
When it comes to sublimation printing, the most expensive oven answer may surprise you. While some may assume that a high-priced oven would be ideal for this type of printing, that might not always be the case. The suitability of an oven for sublimation printing depends on specific features and functionalities, rather than just the price tag. Factors such as temperature control, even heat distribution, and a consistent airflow system play a vital role in achieving good printing results. Hence, it is essential to carefully consider the oven’s specifications rather than solely relying on its cost.
Common Questions About Use Toaster Oven For Sublimation (FAQ):
Can I use a toaster oven to sublimate tumblers?
Yes, the heating system of a toaster oven is indeed sufficient to sublimate tumblers. You just require basic sublimation tools like – sublimation paper, sub shrink wrapper, heat gun & heat gloves.
- Print the design inversely on the sublimation paper and stick it with the tumbler by special thermal tape.
- Wrap the tumbler with a shrink wrapper and set it up by heating it through a heat gun.
- Once the tumbler is ready, set up the oven’s temperature.
- Heat up the tumbler for a specific time period (around 4 minutes).
- Remove the tumbler, unwrap it and let it cool down inside the fridge.
What kind of oven do you need to sublimate tumblers?
Convection ovens are the best option to sublimate tumblers. They feature a convection fan to evenly distribute hot air throughout the interior. However, the oven you will use for sublimation should not be used for preparing food. That’s because the interior will be contaminated with sublimation ink and other gases.
Can I use a toaster oven for sublimation? How to sublimate a tumbler in a convection oven? At first, it literally sounded impossible, ain’t I right? Does it still seem tricky to you? I guess not. In fact, I believe our content has provided a straightforward & clear idea to sublimate mugs in a toaster oven. Trust us; we have got your back. Our essential tips will guide you in this regard. So, don’t worry, and take your first step towards mug sublimation now!